Monday, August 07, 2006

Lifetime Friends


I've sat here for almost 10 min. looking at the walls of my "office" pondering what to write about. I'm drawing a blank. My life is extremely low key and uneventful right now. I had a great weekend with my parents. They were here for the weekend so my dad could do some work for me. Thanks Dad! The water pressure is great! :)

It's Monday and it's raining; Hey...isn't that a song? Rainy days and Mondays always get me down... I'm not really down, just being lazy. I've laid around and watched TV all day. I'm embarrassed to admit that it's 3:15 and I'm still in my nightgown. These days are numbered, 9 to be exact, so I figure I might as well enjoy it. Just seems like yesterday that I was doing the countdown to be out for the summer. Now, I'm counting the days left in my summer. Where did it go?

Okay, to the point (and title) of this blog. It seems I have a certain friend who shall remain nameless who seems to need some reassuring. Based on some anonymous comments she's feeling a little insecure about her place in my heart. I hope everyone has a "lifetime" friend. The kind of friend that you've had since you were a little girl and with any luck will sit around with as old ladies talking about the good ole days. I have that kind of friend. I have memories of so many good times. Sleepovers that involved scary movies and dark basements. Flooded basements that needed bailed out in the middle of the night. Toliet papering that had us running for our lives and me falling in drainage ditches. "Recording" our first songs together at the French Market. She was Sandi Patti and I was Karen Carpenter. Fighting over who would sit beside the Harmon boys and who exactly was Brian Harmon going to marry. Guess the joke was on both of us. Dating best friends and the trouble that brought. Church camp~ needing to be the first ones there a night early so we could get the best beds and watch everyone else arrive. Church camp romances, Ahh young love. Fighting till we bled over the last spoon. Getting recruited for the marching band because she convinced the director I could play the bells because I play the piano and the keys are the same. I could play or I could march, but both were entirely out of the question. Show choir, New addition, musical, youth group, Duets in church that had me running out in tears and her in fits of giggles. Harve and Edith we are not! Kel-Kan and Kibbles (code names) My high-school graduation gift~ an awesome memory book of all our escapades. Being college suitemates, being a bridesmaid in her wedding, holding her 4 babies, and the list will continue to go on because we are lifetime friends! Did I forget anything, Kiz? Oh sorry, I said you'd remain nameless, but I guessing that everyone figured it out anyways. I love you, my friend. You are treasured!

Kelley

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what's most assuring is that when you're drawing a blank about what to write, I came to mind. hehehe......Now, do you really think I would ever doubt my place in your heart, never. You are the only person in my life that could seriously blackmail me. We'll just keep those our little secrets. ;) I can't eat watermelon to this day without going back to Grand Ave., sitting on the porch and spitting seeds as far as we could. If it weren't for your encouragement, I would've never learned how to pee on a tree. :) (a skill that has been passed on to my children) Thankfully, Mom Grate put up with me as well as your brother putting up with that little rocky relationship during middle school. I think they still love me too! :) You are the one person who can read me better than anyone and you will always be the one I go to no matter what happens in my life. See, I took that vow seriously sitting in my grandma's yard under the clothes line......blood sisters til the end. I love you, Kelley!

Deb said...

How sweet, really. Love the hair, too. I also have a "lifetime" friend and have gone through similar phases with her as you two. Unfortunately we live states away and only see each other once or twice a year. Can't say we ever peed on a tree together, but we did share soap at teen camp!

Anonymous said...

Well Girls, here it is 7:05 am and I am at work wiping the tears. You know us Grate's we cry whether we are sad or happy. Your blog brought back so many memories of you both. Lots of crazyiness with you two.I am so glad that you ended up in the same town and have remained fast friends all these years. I can't believe how the years have flown by.
Love you both,
Mom Grate

Jaena said...

OK, so this about made tears come to my eyes...what a cool friendship God has given you two!

And, this illustrates my point about anonymous comments perfectly: when I read comments as if they are from Drill Sergeant KP, they take on an entirely different meaning. When did you enter blog world?

Anonymous said...

....too bad for you, Jaena, since you don't allow anonymous comments and don't think that's proper etiquette, well, i can't ever leave comments for you.....i stop in every once and a while and skim, but i'm just so stinkin' rude......and maybe after the influence of my sister-in-law, i really will have a tender heart some day......number one reason why i don't have a blog: everyone would take my humor as rude, i could have a blog if were only read by the people who know and love me (that would be about 5 people, hehehehe) and i really don't have the time......i've just been having fun this week since i'm actually caught up with 95% of my life.....do you know what my motto is: screw blogging etiquette :)

Marsha, i love you too!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

yo kel-kan
.....a big thanks to you for sticking up for anonymous comments on deb's blog....nobody betta mess with the "sistas"......you go girl.
kibbles

funny stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories of Kizz N' Kel. I read your blog with much interest and passion Kelley. I too have very fond memories of this sometimes dysfunctional relationship, Oh..... the drama. I especially have very fond memories of the hymnals that were stacked beside my girlfriend, the kizz. Or as she sat tight lipped on our porch and would allow me to kiss her but she wouldn't kiss back. Or the fear I felt when I went to church the next Sunday terrified that Keith, dad that is, had somehow found out and was going to tear me limb from limb. Or the disgusting sound of blended pizza going down a straw and through the side of her newly wired shut mouth, or hearing her sing through that wired mouth the lyrics to..... the one....., the only, Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue. Shame Shame Kismet. But I do have to say that her introducing me to secular music has allowed me to blend several musical tastes into my own style to glorify Jesus, yet my desire to be in a boy band, fueled by you Kismet and the terrible day that I was forced to listen to "Hangin tuff" by the new kids.....I still dream of singing while 10,000 screaming woman (who all look like Holly) scream my name. while doing the running man. I still weep.......
But on a serious note, Kismet and Kelley are a pattern for us all. This relationship defines the true nature of what relationships should look like. Many of us tend to think that the good times are what form the backbone of relationships. I believe that the bad times are what teach you the most about eachother, life and more importantly God's forgiveness for you. You both have set a high standard for us all with your passion for eachother and the perseverance which is required to get you through the formative years. Gee, I wonder what foundation of commonality existed between you two that made it possible to remain steadfast all of these years? His name is Jesus. He is what makes longevity possible in our dysfunctionality.

Love you both affectionately,
Your brother (and X boyfriend/brother, ooh................ that sounds gross)

Jason

Anonymous said...

hahahaha.....so funny.....i've never told you this before Jason, but doing the little "Coffee Break" number in how to succeed.....well, it wasn't just the coffee that was just hot.....i was so glad to be standing beside you :) .....hahaha, okay, i'm having fun with you (tell Holly not to send me hate mail, please).....and as for the little rock bit, still doing that, it's in me and i'm glad to have exposed you to some "real music" hahahaha.....don't worry, i keep it clean, there's still great rock stuff out there without the crap......thanks for keeping it real bro.....i'm permanently in the fam rather you want me to be or not.......you that i love you very much and am excited to hear how you're letting God use your life......by the way, i still love that little easter train you gave me......it's almost as cute as you are ;) hahahaha

Anonymous said...

....oh, and one more thing Jason....i just want you to know that i forgive you for your little phone eavesdropping tendencies. :)

Kelley said...

Oh Jason! I wish you would read and comment more often! I am rolling. It's funny how all of our memories are different. I must have all but literally blocked the memory of the two of you dating from my mind. Probably because it traumitized me. I can't believe I didn't mention the blended food being sucked through a straw and the hard rock music though. Those were two key elements that I simply missed in my brainstorming session. Good insights about the commonality. God is Good! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kel, do you mean that you're a Christian......that is so weird, so am I. Someday, though, I'm going to get santified and listen to country music. :)

Big John said...

What a riot. The stories are priceless and Jason is right we should all remember it is the relationships that survive the ruff times that end up being the best. Love to all!

Anonymous said...

.....hahaha, kel, very funny....and yes, i do know what group just happened to write that song you mentioned......great white.