Monday, August 14, 2006

Grate Reunion~ part 2

Woohoo! After many attemps I finally got the pictures to upload. I had to go with the smaller size, but you can click on them to enlarge if you feel the need to see us all up close. :)

I would like to add that our family was also "on time" to the family reunion; arriving shortly after 12:00. This was the time posted on the invitation, but obviously the invitor didn't think any of us would actually show up till 2 or 3 in the afternoon. After we'd toured the whole campground, peed in a hole (my favorite part of camping, the ole hole in the ground toliets) and walked out on the dock to look at the dirty water and boats, we decided to take Jon a tour of "down-home!" So we drove through the hollars touring some Grate history. We saw where my dad was raised, where my grandma was raised, where my grandpa was raised, and the Fairplay chapel, a one room school house/church, where my grandpa went to school and where he was saved. We also stopped to visit Uncle Harvey, my grandma's brother who lives in Danville. By the time we got back to the campground, the reunion was underway and we looked late. Below are the rest of the pictures that I couldn't get to post last night. If you're reading this for the first time, the first part of this event was posted yesterday so keep scrolling down.


Here you have the George Grate clan.

Of course this is our family. We are the Robert Grate clan, but grandpa is no longer with us. Grandma was able to make the trip and we were all glad.

Next you have Georgene's butt! We are a sick family who enjoys the embarrassment of others. You can see the glee on my grandma's face as she held Georgene for an extra long hug so we could all get this great shot! Grandma hasn't lost her ornery side.

This is Uncle George and Uncle Herman, my grandpa's brothers with my grandma.

This is the Hersman clan. Aunt Eva is my granpa's sister.

Reunion is a sweet time, but it's also a little bitter-sweet. There were originally 8 brothers and sisters. We have lost 4 of them. As I look at the pictures, I wonder if we'll all be together next year or if someone will be missing. Our numbers seem to shrink each year. As each one passes, it seems their children and grandchildren quit attending the reunion. I cherish these times and the rich family history I've been blessed with. The Grates are special people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures!! I agree with you whole heartedly!! A wonderful family with rich traditions and I feel so blessed to have married into this wonderful family!!
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You're grandma looks different to me, but I'm glad she was able to join all of you. I'm sure she was happy to see all of you. You are right, you have a wonderful family. Good to see everyone. Thanks for posting the pics for us.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

I second Mom's comment - truly blessed to have married into such a wonderful family. Sad to have missed the reunion the last 2 years. I'm sure the kids would've loved it- as well as the adults! I thought Grandma looked really different, too. Did she lose a lot of weight in her stay at the nursing home? Man is she a hoot- that picture is worth a thousand words. I can't wait to show my dad, he still talks about her all the time. BTW- Kel, you look FAB!!!!

Kelley said...

Holly,
Seems like forever since I've heard from you! :) Thanks for the compliment. I think Grandma has lost alot of weight, especially in her face and upper torso. We all miss you guys. I thought about trying to get the kids for the reunion, but then my wallet set me straight. No money for gas, and I'm WAY over on miles on my car. I can't wait to trade. I feel like I'm being held hostage. It's gonna kill me not to be there this weekend. Please don't have too much fun. I think I'm gonna die soon if I dont' see Zeke. I miss him so much! Well, this is turning out to be longer than I intended. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't any of you realize that I am always late?? lol so sorry about that, but i had to laugh as i honestly thought (and my dad said this) no one will show up till around 3pm. they aren't gonna want to stay that long.. well you all showed him, and me! It was a great day.. good pics.. i have some to post but it will be the weekend before i get it done. hey you haven't read my blog?? did you not get my email? i am in Kim's links now.. you must read.. i did it that very night. you all guilted me and georgene into it!! love ya and the summers were great that we spent together, i cherish every memory! ;)
love, the Baptist.. (that's a capital "B" ok?? haha

Kelley said...

Test

Anonymous said...

Sorry I thought I did post. I missed you all very much. It made me very happy and a little sad to hear the voice mail the bev and georgenne left me. We have talked about trying to come next year but that will depend on how much the new baby likes to travel. Good luck with the new school year. Love ya cuz!!!