Saturday, August 26, 2006

Life's a Roller Coaster Ride!

I love roller coasters! I have ever since I was a little girl. I have always been willing to try even the scariest of roller coasters. The nervous anticipation while standing in line....the first hill....the view from the very top...the exhilleration of zooming up and down and all around...the disappointment when it's over. LET'S GO AGAIN!!!

I've been thinking this week how life is like a roller coaster. I've had alot of people ask me this week if I had a good summer. I haven't been sure how to answer. Yes, I did have a good summer. The weather was great, I was in the pool alot, I spent some great quality time with family, but emotionally, I was up and down and all over the place with the whole interview process. I am finding that I am emotionally tired. The call for the interview, the waiting till the day, the actual interview goes well (or so I thought) these are all anticipation, first hill, view from the top moments. Then the waiting, rationalizing what could be taking so long, and rejection letters are the jerking around the corners and pulling into the station disappointed. Then a new opportunity comes and you scream "Let's do it again!" I've settled into "teaching" for another year, but still check the posting site daily. My principal is very supportive and knows I could be leaving any day if an opportunity came my way. I'm lucky to have someone like that. Some principal's wouldn't feel that way.

This first week of school has been really busy, and tiring, but I would have to say one of the best starts to a year I've ever had. Now if that isn't God knowing that I needed that to get into the right mindset going back to school, I don't know what it is. I absolutely love this group of kids! There are a few quirky ones, but they are good kids. They are conscientous (sp?), they have fun personalities, (they laugh at my jokes) They're well behaved!! I realize they aren't perfect, and there will be days where the wheels fall off, but I really see a good year ahead of me.

One night this week, I stayed late and did home visits. That is always an eye-opening experience and often a humbling one. Most parents were very appreciative of the visit and I think it set the tone with some for a positive school year. Some homes are heartbreaking. It really puts into perspective what these kids are living with. School is often the least of their worries.

Thursday night was open house so I didn't get home till late again. I'm pretty tired by this point in the week. Wondering if I have anything left for Friday. I go to Sue's to pick up Sandy (she was having a play date with Meka since I wasn't going to be home all evening) and we decided to watch General Hospital real quick before I went home to collapse into bed. One of the characters on GH just found out she has lung cancer and she's trying to make arrangements for her two small children. This was just the emotional trip wire I needed to release the flood gates. I've been known to cry when watching soap operas, but this was a whole new level. Sue was looking at me like "It's not really that sad." I just cried and cried. It was that emotional release that I needed. I've been holding onto all the disappointment from the summer and trying to be positive about it, but the truth released itself. I think this ended up being a good thing. I slept really hard and actually felt pretty decent Friday at school.

Yes, I would definitly say Life is a roller coaster ride. I guess it's a good thing I like roller coasters!

7 comments:

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Bless your heart. You are awesome and I count it a privilege to say you're my sister. I just love that you were bawling at GH- hilarious! Kind of I guess. Oh.. you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Life is truly filled with ups and downs and occasionally you throw up when you go around so fast and the coaster is flipping you upside down. But what a priviledge to have the chance to take the ride and to enjoy the trip. To take on the position of principle is a very responsible job. It is making difficult decisions and using lots of life experiences to base those decision on. Sometimes you need to have that hill to climb and that dip to experience to give you the basis to build from. This may be your valley. There is a place and a good opportunity around the corner just waiting for you to get there. When it comes you will be throwing your arms in the air going Wheeeeee all the way. Crying is good it cleans the eye, washes out the dirt that clouds are vision and it waters our eyelashes to make them grow. But most of all it keeps us from swelling up and exploding at the wrong time.

Words of Wisdom by
Carolyn
love ya

Big John said...

It is true aomtimes life reminds me of driving down in the hills. Just when you think you have made it over the last one your round the corner and there is another. Thanks for sharing as always. Miss ya cuz!

Deb said...

Were you in the service this morning? If not, you would have definitely been shedding some tears with the video they showed. Even the guys were looking downward, trying to be inconspicuous as they brushed away tears. Also, wanted to let you know I enjoy the picture that pops up now when you comment - great photo!

Anonymous said...

Honey, you are so right about life being full of ups and downs. We just have to roll with them. I know this past year has been so hard on you. But I know that God has a plan and the timing for your future work. I trust him to lead you and even though we want things to move faster and to get what we want when we want it. It just doesn't always work that way!! I am so glad that you have a good group of kids this year. That in itself will make things better. You are a awesome teacher and will be a wonderful principal. Keep the faith and it will happen!!
Love you,
Mom

Missy said...

How true. I have had many moments when something little is what opened the floodgates of my own l stock pile of emotions. It is cleansing. As I read the comment from Carolyn about crying being good because it cleans the eyes....it made me realize something. Yesterday when I went to church I was not seeing well out of my right eye. SOmething was wrong with the contact and my eye sight was blurry. It was driving me crazy! So frustrating! Then, they ( you :) ) showed the tear jerker video :) My eyes did water a bit and I noticed within a minute that my vision was no longer blurry. Apparently the problem was taken care of with a few tears. Almost instantly my whole perspective changed! I suppose I could make all kind of analogies from that. What an answer to prayer to have a great student body this year to work with! ALso, I wanted to tell you that I thought it was very kind of you to be willing to run the power point for second service yesterday. We missed you in Sunday school.

Jaena said...

I haven't had a good cry in awhile...I think both crying and laughter are therapeutic. Maybe we can accomplish both this week.