Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Who am I?

Who am I? That may seem like a silly question, but it's a very real question after Sunday's sermon. I was really challenged Sunday by Pastor Deneff's sermon. Let me give a little synopsis for those of you who don't attend. The object lesson looked something like this: The Law
get
do
want
are
The Holy Spirt
Steve talked about how who we ARE impacts what we WANT which influences what we DO so then we GET the consequence or blessing of that. He said as Christians we tend to think from the top down which means that we live according to the Law. We DO things that are wrong and are constantly asking forgiveness. His point is that we need to stop asking for forgiveness and start living from the bottom up. Instead of praying for forgiveness, pray for the Holy Spirit to change who we ARE so that our actions will fall into line with that. This hit me so hard because I have had such a bad attitude lately with school and the kids. I have had thoughts and feelings towards some of them that certainly don't fall into line with who I AM! At least not the person I think I am and who I want to be. I was really challenged to start praying differently that God would change me to have his joy in my heart even here at school. I need to be praying for these children not cursing them in my mind. I was really convicted that the change needs to start with me. It's easy to step back and point fingers at what a horrible job everyone is doing at raising their children, when I probably see their children more in a day than they do. I need to find a way to positively impact their lives. Now, don't get me wrong, I still believe that might include some "tough love", but it should be dealt with a loving attitude. My Sunday School class prayed for me Sunday as I had a little melt down after the service. I just wanted to say that "God answers prayer!" I have had a really good week. I've made peace with one student in particular that I was struggling with and things that normally would have sent me reeling, have been met with a calm. I haven't been upset or angry for two days. That's got to be some type of record! :)

In other news: I have lots of "irons in the fire" as the say so keep praying as I'm searching for a job.

I've also been spending ALOT of time in my yard. I can easily spend a couple of hours a night working it seems. I have pain in places I didn't know existed, but Sue assures me that if I keep at it, I'll get used to it. Manual labor? Not so sure I was cut out for it. Sorry Dad, I know that breaks your heart, but I'm definitly my mother's daughter!

Have a great week!
Kelley

6 comments:

Jaena said...

Good for you, Kelley! (the having a good week and making peace with a student...ok, for working in your yard too.) If you need more opportunity to work those muscles, you can practice on our yard. :-)

Anonymous said...

What can I say, I am one proud mother!! If only all of us could put what we hear into practice in our lives!! We all would be such powerful Christians! I am jealous that you can work in your yard. I wish I could do that in mine! If you run out of sticks and weeds, make a trip home and I will have plenty for you to do. Once again,
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!
Love,
Mom

Big John said...

Well that is a challenge and very thought provoking. sounds like a lesson we could all learn from and I will give it a try as well. As always I love you cousin!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly I share your love of gardening. Ha I am anxious for your mom to bring me to your house to see how you have it all fixed up.

I am amazed that we, your mom and dad and I have such great children. Each of you have shown such wonderful insight about yourselves and your faith in GOD. This is a tough time for everyone as the world continues to change and values are put to test. Your new job will pose other problems that will test you too.

We are all praying God will direct you where you can be used and a witness.

And like the others writing you I too can use your gardening expertise if you can fit me in your schedule.

Take care the days will fly past.

Love
Carolyn

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Kelly. What can I say? You're too cool. I really mean that!

Anonymous said...

You go girl