Saturday, May 20, 2006

The True Queen of My House





Since I am single, I should feel like I am the queen of the household, right? I do occasionally think that I'm in charge, but it doesn't take long for Sandy girl to set me straight. For those of you who've never met her, this is my little dog, Sandy. She loves to be outside, but has to find a spot to lay where the sun is hitting her. I looked out and couldn't find her since she is usually on the patio. I started to panic until I looked straight down and there she was in the rocks. This was the only strip of morning sun hitting the house, so I should have known. Sandy is a constant source of joy, amusement, and aggrevation. She comes with some emotional issues that are hard to understand at times. Sue and I found her at my family reunion in southern Ohio. She was tied to a tree, covered in ticks and totally pitiful. What I have learned since that day, is she can put that pitiful look on her face at a moments notice when she wants something. I was totally played that day by a very smart dog. She's a very nervous dog especially when it storms or she thinks I'm leaving. When I'm packing for a trip, it's simply sad. She is a basket case because she knows that I'm leaving. I'm assuming she was left for days in her past life. She also is wary of men, again I say smart dog. Ha! So, her abuser must have been a man. She cannot be caged or she goes baserk. She also flinches alot when you move in to pick her up or if you yell at her she cowers. All of these things tell me that she had a pretty rough life before I found her and she became the Queen. That's really what I should have named her. Sandy sleeps with me in my bed. I know that probably grosses some of you out, but she cannot be deterred. Now, I have a queen size bed which should be plenty of room for the two of us. Right? Wrong! She starts out over on her side with her head of her pillow, but as soon as the light goes out and i have settled in, she moves over in between the pillows right up against me. By morning, I am hanging over the edge because she can't seem to get close enough. If I try to push her back to her side I am met with a low ggrrrrr. So, she sleeps where she wants. She amuses me greatly with her bone. When she and Meka (Sue's dog) lived together, Sandy would hide her bone and steal Meka's to chew on which would bring on some major fights. So, we quit giving the dogs bones. However, now that they live apart, they can have the bones. Meka chews on her bones like she's supposed to. Sandy? She hides hers. She's had the same bone for 2 months. Hasn't chewed on it once. She just trots around the house with it in her mouth looking for new hiding places. It absolutely cracks me up. I never know where I'm going to find the bone. At least I don't have to worry about it being sticky, slobbery and gross. She has never chewed on it so it's like new! Sandy is a great dog though. She lets the kids hold her and pet her and chase her around the house. I never worry that she will bite them. She's usually exhausted when they leave, but she's a good sport. She's also a little spoiled because Grandma Grate feeds her table food when she's here visiting. That's a no, no, but I guess Grandmas get aways with that kind of stuff. She brings me lots of love and joy. I'm thankful that I found her that August day in 1999. She's a great pet and I love her!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good name for Sandi. You keep forgetting that is how to spell her name. She definitely rules the house. It's annoying when I have to keep her and she thinks she needs to sleep in my bed. I had her trained to sleep in her bed on the floor, but you have totally spoiled her.

Anonymous said...

Kelley-

Sorry I haven't commented lately, and I must admit, this comment is really for Sue, but since I don't know her e-mail, I am using your blog. Hope you don't feel used :). Sue, my dad inquired about the b-ball camp; we thought it was for ages 5-7, but Steve Brooks said that was a boys camp. However, he said he would love for Elizabeth to come to the 8-17 camp - she's 6 1/2 (I think he knows her age.) 8:30-4:30 seems a long time for her age - although she said she wants to go and I would love for her to go, but do you think it's too much for her? I'm not worried about attention span, more about physical stamina and age difference. Elizabeth has played basketball and knows a lot about it, but she's definetly no Tiger Woods prodigy.

Deb

Anonymous said...

This blog is for Sandy: Grandma's coming on Saturday honey just hang in there and I will give you some treats! :) hee hee
What can I say, Sandy is a little sweetie and she deserves to be Queenie while I am there.
Love ya,
Grandma

Big John said...

I remember the day you found her. She was certainly a special little dog and you did a great thing giving her a home. She definitely played you. Good luck.