Friday, June 30, 2006

Lazy Days of Summer!

Well, here it is Friday June 30th. I have been racking my brain for a post topic and was coming up with nothing. My life is pretty uneventful in the summer. I am envious of Deb and her many topics, and thought about trying to copy her style, but she made a very important statement to me the other night about how each blog has it's own style. That is so true and is exactly why I enjoy reading them all so much. So, sticking to my true style of the "day to day" I decided to post about my lazy days of summer. In the midst of posting, it dawned on my that the one picture that would truely capture how I spend a good portion of my time would be of me posting. So, I hooked up the camera, put it on self-timer and presto!

Here I am previewing the pictures I had uploaded so far.

Next you have an example of how Sue and I spend most afternoons. We are laughing because to set the timer and get back far enough before it goes off in the pool is quite a challenge. Wouldn't be so hard it I weren't determined to stay hidden behind the raft.

Next we have Sue~ would you look at the definition in those arms! Amazing!

Then there's me with my floppy hat. I put this one about half way through my swim time to protect my skin. Aren't you proud mom? Embarassing Sue is another perk. She thinks the hat looks silly.

I had to include a few shots of my flowers because I spend a large part of each day puttering around my yard looking at all the changes in my flowers. These just started blooming Wednesday.

This is the first rose to bloom on this plant. I love the coral color.


Here we have Sue last night by the fire pit.

And last here's me by the fire pit. I had Sue take this picture to show Jason my new Ohio State hat. I know he'll be jealous. Holly~ make sure he sees this. One of Sue's new Freshman on the basketball team is from Ohio. Her dad brought Coach Brooks a hat last night because he's from Ohio and he knew he would like it. He brought Sue and Coach Dobrik one because he knew they wouldn't! ;) So, I got the hat!

I think the fire pit is going to be a real source of joy. I love sitting and staring into the fire. As the fire died last night, I was mesmerized by the glowing embers. They are so cool. It's a good time to just be still and reflect. I did sing a few toons Carolyn. (much to Sue's pleasure I'm sure) The one that kept popping into my head was Precious Lord, Take My Hand. It made me think of Grandpa and I could hear all us Grate's singing it around the fire. I think you and your mom have sung it in church a time or two. I could hear your harmonies.

Well, that's how I spend my lazy days of summer. I thank the Lord for these days because they are exactly what I need to re-charge as Sue put it today. She says that as she's laying on the raft she just feels the sun re-charging her batteries. I wouldn't say it's only the sun but the whole picture for me.

"And the peace of God, which trascends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, for not having a topic for your blog you did a fine job. All the pictures were enlightning and restful, the water, the fire and the flowers. You have just a small piece of Heaven.
I love the old songs and I do miss the singing around the fire when we camped. Years before you and the others entered the world, we had guitars, and other instruments. People would come around to listen to the music and the harmony. Somehow we all went our separate ways and never find time to make those moments happen again. So hooray for you for bringing back a little part of the past and tonight when you are roasting (i hope a hot dog) sing for me " Where could I go, Oh where could I go, seeking a ---- for my soul, needing a friend to help me in the end, Oh where could I go but to the Lord," mmmmmmmm ...
Love you
Carolyn

Deb said...

I wish you would have had a video of you guys trying to get that picture in the pool - how many tries did it take? I was trying to imagine you hurrying into the pool and then trying to pose as if you had been standing there forever (you did a nice job of pulling that off.)

Also, what is it about a fire that makes us just sit and stare? I mean, we wouldn't just sit in a chair and stare at grass. My favorite part of the fire is when it has died down to hot embers, and then I think to myself - this is the perfect time for a peanut butter/chocolate/marshmallow pudgy pie. Then I eat a whole one and am sorry I did because it is way too rich - half would be enough.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you are in trouble for the comment about the arms. Smart aleck. Good post, though,pretty good pictures too. We do have it pretty good in the summer. Just wish it could be summer all year. I think I would be a much happier person:)

Jaena said...

Sue - You might not be as happy as you think with the whole year off because you might not appreciate it as much as when you only have a couple of months.

Kelley - beautiful pictures! Looks like you are having a great summer! We would love to come swim and cookout on the fourth. Thanks for the invitation! What can we bring?

Deb said...

Just read Jaena's comment - ditto for everything she said regarding the 4th (hoping for sunshine!)

Big John said...

Well that looks like fun. I have found that lazy days have grown few and far between. I bet that your fire pit did bring back memories. I remember being at reunion making our way around from motor home to motor home. But the sound I remember is not the sound of music but of Uncle Arnold try to get something hacked out : )

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey Kel! You are quite the pro with the self-timer. I still haven't figured mine out yet.. I find myself a bit jealous of the lazy days.. This home renovation crap is getting pretty tired...

Kim said...

I wish I was there enjoying the pool with you two. Good job on keeping the pool so clean and nice looking (Sue). I will be expecting an invite to a pool/BBQ party in the next couple of months.

Anonymous said...

I leave for a couple of days and can't wait to get home and check out your blog!! What beautiful pictures and thinking about the old camp fires and singing sure brings back alot of memories!! Almost makes me want to camp again! Almost!! It was a very special time in our lives that we will never forget! I will go for sitting around your fire pit and humming along with you kids. We need to have a family get together there before summer is over.
Love you,
Mom