Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Falling off the wagon(s)

Well, I've tossed the idea of this post around in my head for a little more than 24 hours. I'm hesitant to be completely honest because I know so many will be disappointed. However, I am going to go forth. Just remember I am human and I make mistakes.

I have officially fallen off the wagon(s). I phrase it like this because I don't think I was offically on one of the wagons just running along behind thinking about jumping on. That wagon would be the food wagon. I am a complete and utter mess. I have tried everything known to man and let's face it... I just like to eat. I really thought that once school was out for the summer and some of my stress was gone I'd get back to it. When I'm reaching for something, I often say.."I'm gonna eat this to get rid of it so I won't be tempted." Then there's the standard.."I'm starting on Monday." If I had a nickel for every Monday, I'd be one rich woman, which would take care of my second wagon by the way. I've tried appetite suppressants; what a joke! I'd have to be eating because I'm hungry for that to be effective. Hunger has nothing to do with it. So, what's the answer? I really don't know. If anyone has a good idea for me, send it my way. I'm seriously considering a fat farm... I mean spa retreat, but i have visions of an old Laverne and Shirley episode where they were at a spa retreat and the whole time Laverne was trying to get twinkies smuggled in.

Then there's wagon #2. I... gulp...used a credit card at Wal-mart. Gasp! I kept one card for an "emergency" and last night I took a long tumble off the wagon. I can feel the disappointment radiating through the computer. I just couldn't help myself. The weird thing is, I didn't buy what you might think. It wasn't shoes or purses or even clothes. I bought plants for landscaping!! I have really gotten into this whole yard work thing. I just want to do it NOW! I don't want to wait. I really didn't spend that much (only $48). Sue says it's just like a drink. She thinks I'm doomed back to the world of spending, but I don't really think so. I think I can stop.

13 comments:

Kim said...

I am right there with you. I have been trying really hard to stay on this round of WW but today...OLIVE GARDEN called my name. I think I had 2 breadsticks...OK it was really 3....OK OK I had 4 but that is because I bought the alfredo dipping sauce and I didn't want it to go to waste. So I understand. As far as the money...well I think we would have to sell Samuel to get out from under it all. I try to tell myself that if I pay a little more it will pay it off faster but 4 dollars a month only reduces the debt from being paid off by 2 months. So instead of being debt free in 4 years and 10 months, we will be free in 4 years and 8 months. This is also probably a nice estimate considering that I have 4 years and 8 months to get into more debt. Such a glorious cycle of our generation. We would be living in a 1 bedroom apt on the other side of the tracks driving a beat up volvo if we had to pay cash for everything. YIKES!!! Well...sorry I wrote so much, I should have blogged in my blog first. By the way...Deb I have been secretly sneaking in and reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. I may comment but I wanted you to know who I was. My mom's mom's mom had my grandma Eva and my uncle Robert who are brother and sister. Robert had Keever who is Kelly's dad, Eva is my mom's mom and so my mom (Carolyn) and Keever are related some how and me and Kelley are too. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Well Kelly,
The real problem is, can you climb back in? The first sign of making a change is admitting you have a problem. I am 58, and not to discourage you, but it is a battle for all of us.
Right now you are under a lot of stress to find that job and trying to make a lot of changes that you have learned and practiced for many years. Change is never easy, it is what breaks up churches, families and creates havoc in people's lives. So raise that short leg and climb back in the wagon, quit feeling like you failed and remember you have the entire blog population cheering for you.
Remember you are bigger than that credit card and the food you eat. If not you should run for your life. It is just one day at a time, and then you breathe breathe breathe. When I see you this weekend we can go out and get a banana split, and a whopper and top it off with a shake while we encourage each other. Well, did you chuckle, if not canned icing when there is nothing else in the house sweet works well too. Hey, as Samuel would say, "Lord, help Mop quit eating, AMEN" and Lord help Kelly too.

Love you, Carolyn

Deb said...

For what it's worth, Kelley, I am not sending any disappointment vibes through the computer. Even though my wagons are different than yours, I have fallen off, too, and I'm sure everyone else who reads your post will say the same. So hopefully no judgmental comments will follow, only encouraging ones that will help you as you get back on board.

Kim, I, too have spied on your site. I'm trying to figure out this whole family relation thing. Are you related to Big John and Carolyn? (I read theirs, too.) You all definetly got the funny gene.

Kim said...

Deb...My mom is Carolyn and Big John is by brother. We are sick and you need to pray for us. We don't get out much.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Nothing quite like putting it all out there! THIS is why I love you like a real sister. If only we could all be so honest, the world would surely be a much better place! I think Carolyn hit the nail on the head, "raise that short leg and climb back in the wagon". HA! I know it goes without saying, but I will say it anyways... I love you DEARLY and know you can climb back on that wagon!

Anonymous said...

OK, I am so ready for a pizza and some bread sticks and a hot fudge brownie sunday. Work is so stressful right now. I can't even begin to tell you how bad it is!! Just pray for me on Monday, July 26th. As they say, it may hit the fan when the boss gets back in the office. I may be retiring early!! Which in a way would be nice, but then not having money to spend would be bad!! So needless to say, my wagon is sagging and has a wheel flat!! I am barely hanging on!! I know it is all in the mind but boy can we talk to ourselves and justify just about anything!! I will be praying for you and you can pray for me!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
I love you,
Mom

Kelley said...

I love you guys! You're all so encouraging. I actually cried as I sat here this morning reading your comments. I have resolved to jump back on the wagon (at least till Carolyn and Mom get here Sat.).

Anonymous said...

I have already been thinking of where we can eat out.:)
What can I say!! I'm guilty!!
Sorry Honey for my bad genes that I have passed on to you!!
Love you,
Mom

Jaena said...

Deb is right - we all have different wagons, so we have all been in your place at one time or another.

One thing I have realized lately is that I desperately need accountability...especially financially (and spiritually, but that is another issue). I have never thought we had a problem with credit cards because we always paid them off at the end of the month. However, after listening to Dave Ramsey (and Tasha), I have realized that we do spend much more with our credit cards. We do not treat them like cash. So, I am on a new mission to get our spending and budget on track and to get rid of our credit cards. I could use advice (since I know you tool the class), and it may help me with the accountability issue if you are willing. Seriously...let me know.

Kelley said...

Jaena- I'd be happy to give you some accountability. It looks like I could use some of my own! :) I would actually like to take the class again. It was very motivating to me and I could use a refresher.

Jaena said...

Sign me up - I want to take the class too! Is there a plan to offer it again?

Kelley said...

I don't know. Tasha mentioned it once, but I haven't heard anymore about it. We should talk to her.

Kelley said...

I don't know. Tasha mentioned it once, but I haven't heard anymore about it. We should talk to her.