Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Let There Be Fire

I had a small glimpse into the past last night. The pride they must have felt when they created something with their own hands. Sue and I built a fire pit in my back yard. It's rough and definitly not perfect, but pretty good for two girls. Actually probably only 1 1/2 girls. I'm not sure my part was significant enough to count as a whole person. Basically Sue did it with moral support from me. I did pull up the sod as she cut it out though. I had visions of grandeur but after a trip to Lowe's and realizing how much it would cost to buy the cool landscaping rocks I really wanted, we went with the free extra brick provided by my house. They have piles of it behind my shed and out by the pine trees, so that's what we used. Because of that, we went with a nice square shape (instead of a circle) that's a little off square, but hey, it works! We even fired it up last night. It worked quite nice and the roasted marshmallows were wonderful. My friend, Deb, blogged about her love of camping a few days ago. I could relate. I grew up camping, but the part I loved the most was sitting around the fire. Now I can do that in my own back yard any day of the week. I think I'm feeling the need to host a Sunday School party soon! ;)


Sue is setting the bottom row of bricks.

Let there be fire!

I'm roasting my first marshmallow.

8 comments:

Jaena said...

Cool, Kelley! Looks like you two did a great job. AND I am proud of you for making a wise financial choice and using the free brick you already had. Yea!

Deb said...

Awesome! We put a fire pit in our backyard last summer. We started out with pieces of concrete that used to be a sidewalk that I had dug up when enlarging my garden. Then my brother-in-law gave us some landscaping stone, so we redid it. I'll have to admit, I liked the old concrete better - it had been part of our house's past and didn't look so "landscapy" and perfect. I was just thinking the other day how I was missing our ladies nights. I haven't had as hearty as a laugh since our last one (wasn't that when this whole blog mess started?)

Anonymous said...

Cool Fire Pit!!
Can't wait to come over and roast some hot dogs and marshmallows!!
You girls never cease to amaze me!!
I am so thankful that you have such a wonderful friend!! Thanks Sue for all your hard work!!
Keever and I appreciate you so much!!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Kelley, I love your fire pit and can't wait to come over and have a hot dog. It brings back a lot of memories. If I can find the tripod dad made I'll bring it over so you can cook hamburgers or hang an old cast iron pot over it and cook some beans. just a thought
Love you, Dad

Kelley said...

Mom and Dad,
You guys are funny. I'm glad you like it. We'll definitly have to use it while you're here in July. The tripod would definitly bring back some good memories, but NO WAY to the beans if you're planning to stay in my house! ;) Love ya!

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Awesome! Makes me miss our fire pit in Grand Haven. I TOO am impressed with your wise financial decision...looks like you've crawled right back up on the wagon! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

If you decide to cook beans can I come too? It does bring back some memories. I too enjoyed the cook out part more than the bugs and misquitos. MMMMMMMM..... I can taste those beans and corn bread and a hot dog nice and roasted wow I just gained another pound.

You fashioned a real perty pit for two younins.

Enjoy and sing a few songs that will really bring back memories. I can hear them now.

Carolyn

Big John said...

that is awesome. What a great way to spend an evening. I would do that here but it rains everyday for about the next month and it is way to hot to enjoy a fire. Hope to see soon. Love ya cuz!