Thursday, April 06, 2006

Greetings from the Frozen Tundra!

Well, it's official. It's cold in my house. Today it slipped below the bearable 60 degree mark. I spend my evenings at Sue's, run home and jump into my bed which is piled with quilts and take the fastest showers in history every morning. All the while Sandy (my dog who just got shaved over spring break) is trembling and looking at me with these sad eyes that seem to be saying, "What did I do?" I've made her a nice little nest out of my warmest quilt which is where she spends her days. I drove to EVERY home improvement/department/drug store in Marion after school today looking for a small electric heater. I heard the same story in each store..."I'm sorry Mam, we just sold the last one, or we just sent back all we had left. The fans arrived today." I watched in horror as the workers were stocking the empty shelves where heaters used to be with FANS! Who needs a freaking fan when it's 50 degrees outside??? Now, before I go any further, I want to say, "Mom, Put your checkbook away!" I mean it! I'm not going to freeze to death. If it gets too bad, I'll turn the heat back on. It's supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow, unfortunately, it's going to drop 20 degrees and be 50 on Sat. Go figure!

On to other things. The last few days have been very interesting. Sometimes I feel like I work in the twilight zone. Kids and their parents are an interesting breed. School always gets really interesting around this time of year. It has all of us shaking our heads and counting days. ( I have 32 to be exact, thanks to 3 days off for Andrea's wedding and 1 day I'm saving for a day in May when I think it would be in the best interest of everyone for me to stay home.)

Well, it's time for the O.C. so I've gotta wrap this up. Priorities you know! Hope everyone's keeping warm!

Love ya!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm only going to sign up for softball if you promise to give our team the same blog time as the IWU women's team.

Anonymous said...

Turn the heat back on! My checkbook is still in the green, at least for a little while longer. I can't have you getting sick before the wedding and having a cold or worse! That is orders from home!
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

listen to your mom

Anonymous said...

I agree, you should listen to your mom. Deb, don't worry, she will give us the same amount or more I'm sure of it. She really gets into the sports things these days. Kelley, I hear your frustrations. That is the whole problem with the kids today. It's the idiot parents that are raising them. Of course, does anyone blame them for their children not learning. NO!!!!! They blame the public schools. We can't teach stupid!!!!! The parents need to take responsiblity for their child's education. How about first of all, teach them some manners and respect for authority. That would be a huge start. And then maybe work with them on their homework or at least make sure they do it. Ok, I'm going to get off my soap box now. I'm just a burnt out, frustrated teacher of smart aleck Junior High kids.

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Sue,
I am working with the grown up stupid kids that think life is one big party right now. They don't have jobs, no high school diploma, can't figure out how to pay rent and now are homeless, they have no medical coverage only what the welfare system will pay and if they are lucky they live in the hood.

Making money for them is on the street corner selling themselves or selling drugs. If that doesn't work they resort to what they think is easy money and rob the person who spent time learning and has the job.

Parents are afraid to discipline the kids they didn't set boundaries for because they might retaliate. Everyday I sit across from young girls pregnate trying to decide to keep the child or give it away.

I am seeing 50 year old people who depended on welfare as their main source of income and now they realize that the system will no longer give them life time care. no kids, no cash.

So what ever values you can demonstrate and promote will go along way for their future. It may be the only place they see hope.

Big Carol