Monday, June 15, 2009

Dilemma

Well, here we are on Monday and I have a dilemma. Over the weekend, I was out with friends, one of which is my good friend Mary, an athletic trainer at IWU. She's right up there next to Doctors in my book and gives me good advice and help when I'm struggling with injuries and such. So, I was telling her about my running goals and she said, "Really? hmmm." Now, I didn't pursue that, but later, I had to ask her what she meant by that. Wish I hadn't asked.

Mary tells me that for every pound we carry, we exert 4 pounds of pressure on our knees, shins and ankels. So, when I'm running, that's ALOT of pressure pounding down. She's not against running, but thinks it's better done once weight is lost so that you don't injure yourself. So, I don't know what to do. I'm not injured right now...but I don't want to get a stress fracture or something even worse that will cause me not to be able to exercise at all. She suggested doing more on the elliptical which applies no pressure to your joints but still is a great cardio workout for losing weight. Well, that's okay, but I don't really enjoy the elliptical and I feel a huge disappointment to not continue my goal. I actually haven't decided what to do.

Today at the gym, I did the elliptical for 15 min. and then walked on the treadmill the remaining time. Then Sue and I did our weight/ab workout. It was a good tough workout, but I felt disappointed to not run at all. So, what to do? Do I continue running as long as I feel okay doing it, or do I stop and pick it back up later when I've got some of this weight off??? That is the question of the day. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mary is right! Bad knees are no fun!! I would do everything else and keep walking along with it! Walking fast is not the pounding on the knees that running would be. Don't give up just adjust your thinking! :) You can do this!!
Love you,
Mom

Missy said...

I have lots of thoughts but not enough time to write now. I'm facing the same dilema in many ways and would love to visit with you about it. I can't even put into words the disappointment I felt and still feel about not getting to do the mini because of my knee. I'm finally feeling ready to move on to plan B of sorts. More later.

Susan said...

I did a boot camp when I got engaged and it required alot of running. I was heavier than I am now and it really took a toll on me quickly. I would say keep it up on a moderate pace but do more of the eliptical/treadmill so you don't injure yourself. What happened to me was I got such horrible shin splints that I couldn't walk, much less work out for several weeks until they healed. This obviously negates the whole point behind working out to lose weight! You should be so proud of yourself for setting and reaching your fitness and weight loss goals. I have stuggled with my weight my entire life, so I feel your pain !! Keep it up!
Sue Simpson