Thursday, September 21, 2006

Life is slow

For those of you who feel like life is passing you by or that you seem to be meeting yourself coming and going, you might be frustrated by this post. Life right now is so calm and uneventful. I’m enjoying my job; I have relaxed evenings and just generally feel refreshed. The absence of classes, internships and constant stress has been heavenly.

New news: I have a new (old) car. My lease is up in Dec. on my rendezvous and it was time for Kelley to put the Dave Ramsey ~ Financial Peace learning to use. I’ve just been biding my time to try his buy a car with cash plan. So, I found the perfect car last week thanks to Sue. A guy she works with is selling a ’92 Honda Accord. Back in the day, this car was loaded and was driven by a Dr. A year ago the guy that works with Sue bought it, but due to having a hip replacement found that it wasn’t comfortable for him on longer trips. Sooo, Dad and Mom made a quick trip on Sunday to see it and drive it, and with their blessing, I bought the car. Actually I got a loan. I don’t want people thinking that my bank account is over flowing or that Mom and Dad made this purchase for me. My car payments are being more than cut in half and I’ll be getting 31mpg city. Yahoo! Cheaper insurance, cheaper tags, cheaper payments! My plan is to pay it off while putting the extra money away and in 4-5 years have enough saved to buy my next used (but newer used) car with cash. The process will continue until I’m driving a practically new car with no payments. I will add pictures to this post when I get home so you can all see my little beauty. My thinking is that in 4-5 years I might have it junked up enough that my brother might want to drive it. Right now, it’s probably in too nice of condition. He doesn’t like them unless he’s afraid he might not arrive at his location. Just kidding, J! Although, I’m seriously thinking it might be a great car for you when I’m done with it. You’re going to love it!

Diet Update: I believe I said that I was going to do an update on each post and I have failed to do that. I seem to forget till I’ve already posted. The diet is going very well. This is probably the healthiest eating plan I’ve ever followed. I’m following it pretty well, but have cheated just about each weekend. Even with that, I have lost 9lbs. Monday will be 4 weeks that I’ve been on it. I’m averaging a little more than 2 lbs. a week which is a great, healthy amount to lose. I can see this working for the long haul. I’m refusing to tell Elijah about it though till I lose a significant amount. He informed me that the diet I did for the wedding stunk. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that it wasn’t the diet that was the problem, but the dieter. Gotta love their honesty and perception.

Well, that’s all the news I have to report today. I hope all my buddies out in Blogland are having a good week!

Kelley

6 comments:

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey! You bought a FOREIGN car???? And Daddyo approved this purchase? Glory to God. Can't wait to see it...I'm sure Jason will love it!

Anonymous said...

Be careful, you might become as frugal as your old aunt. Next thing you know, you will only buy food items off the dollar menu:) I'm glad things are "slow" now. Enjoy it while it lasts. MC

Anon said...

hahaha, Elijah is a crack up. I just need him to deliver that one message that I try to blackmail him with to his dad. :) I can't wait to see the car. Hondas are the only thing we purchase, you know. We kept our first one (which was a hand-down from father-in law of about 20 years) until the door literally fell off. Hondas are great vehicles!!!! I miss seeing you.

Kim said...

Once you go Honda...you don't go back...So start saving for a new Accord. I miss mine, it was a casualty of getting married. HA HA...BOO HOO....

Hey...the family is coming up from Rutland the first weekend of Oct. Bev, George, Vi and Bill and Ova are coming. A regular family reunion. Thought you might want to plan a trip home.

Kelley said...

You all crack me up. We'll see about the Honda addiction. I think at heart I'm still a GM girl! :) Actually Holly, Dad was so impressed with the car that he said if I didn't buy it, he might. Now that would be a sight! Dad in a Honda! Would MC happen to be Aunt Marla? If so, I think I'm already there. The dollar menu has been a life saver since buying my house! :) I miss you too Anon! will you be in SS on Sunday? I'm planning to be there. To all, I've tried to post pictures, but blogspot isn't cooperating. I'll try again tonight. Have a good day!

Deb said...

I think your car stategy sounds great. In fact, I know it's 10 years away, but I was already talking to Jason about how we could start that with Elizabeth. Like, whatever her first car is, either match her payments, or if it is a junker that we are done with and it's paid for (this is our plans for our Jeep that just sits around most of the time,) match whatever she wants to put in a fund. Can you remind me of this strategy in about 9 years?