Sunday, October 08, 2006

Grate Reunion~ Take 2!

This past weekend a weird phenominon happened. We had a second Grate Reunion. This was a small intimate gathering that spun out of control. My great Aunt Ova (Uncle Bill and Cousin Colleen) were unable to attend the original reunion. They live in northern Michigan which makes for a long hike. This past weekend, they were making a trip to Marion to visit with my great Aunt Eva (Ova's sister). So, they invited little brother George (Violet and a few of their children) to come up as well. Mom offered to host a dinner Sat. for all (approximately 16-20 people). By the time the actual weekend arrived the number had climbed to 42!! Now this is almost as many as the original reunion! I was able to spend time with family this weekend that I hadn't seen in 20 years or more. A few that I don't think I had ever met. It was such a neat day. We all gathered at Mom and Dad's at 1:00 for a huge buffet style dinner with people eating everywhere you looked. The best part for me was after dinner when we all gathered in the living room and had our own version of the Gaither Homecoming. My family is very musical with many musicians and even more vocalist. Cousin Bev played keyboard, Aunt Violet played Steel Guitar, Cousin Mike played the harmonica and Aunt Eva played guitar. They rest of us joined our voices in a beautiful harmony singing old time favorited such as "I'll Fly Away, Amazing Grace, Precious Lord, Take my Hand, The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power, Have a Little Talk with Jesus, and He's Still Working on Me!" I fought tears more than once as I looked around the room at people I love so much and realized how blessed I am to come from this family. This was an event that in all reality might never happen again, and I am so glad I decided to ditch the IWU Homecoming so I could be a part of it. Sadly, the blogger system is giving me fits and I am having trouble getting the rest of my pictures to upload. The pictures below are mainly of the eating and visiting. I have pictures of the singspiration that will have to come later.



Cousins Jenny and Bonnie and Aunt Donna



Cousins Colleen, Georgene and Bev
Jenny's husband, Aunt Violet and Uncle Bill



Aunt Eva, Aunt Ova, and Grandma Grate catch up after dinner.
Elijah's proud of his game day t-shirt!



Cousin Sean is a senior and a talented Soccer player. He's being recruited by many Big 10 schools. I'm hoping he doesn't go with Michigan or Michigan State. Yuck! Austin and Ashley belong to Cousin Bev. Ashley is a Sophomore at Marshal Universtiy in Huntington, West Virginia. She was an extra in the upcoming Matthew McConaughey movie about a sports team from Marshal that was killed in a plane crash. Ashley actually saw Matthew in person!!! She said he was at their football game the other night but she had decided to stay home. Her friend got up close pictures of him! I was in awe!!! I told her that he was actually dating a good friend of mine, Missy. I don't think she believed me though. :)


And of course, no family weekend is complete without a picture with my Sis!

Just a note: Ladies night is back on for Thursday at 7:00! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was indeed a GRATE day. I felt the same as you as I listened to everyone sing in harmony and looked around at all the faces. We are indeed blessed to have this opportunity that many people never experience. I too shed a few tears and thought how wonderful the words that came from the heart of the singers. Then I looked at those who are aging and have been sick and realized this was an event only God could have planned as we may never get this chance to come together as we were this weekend. Laughter played a wonderful part in relaxing and sharing some funny stories and sharing a smile or too when I had no idea what just happened. I am just glad that your mom and dad have such a beautiful place to visit and their willingness to let us all meet.
love ya

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, When can we do it again!! It was worth all the work and time involved to cook and bake the yummy foods and deserts!! I loved every minute of it and can't wait to repeat it!! We are so very blessed to have such a wonderful loving family!! God is so good!!
Love,
Mom

Anon said...

So, when are you going to get your sister to join the blog world? Loved the pics!


And tell my BJ Buddy that I miss seeing her on my blog.......she better not even be trying to ignore me. :)

Missy said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Well, now I guess the secret is out about my relationship with Matthew. Now I'm sure it will be a matter of days before the paparazi starts stalking me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me get a glimpse into the weekend. I sure miss everybody and it seems like this one may have been better than the one in August. Love you cuz!