Monday, January 10, 2011

Need? Want? What's Enough?

When I was in college at IWU, I worked as an RA for 3 years. The first year our retreat ended with a true "foot washing" ceremony. I knew this terribly uncomfortable experience was coming and I dreaded it the whole weekend. I didn't want to touch someone else's feet, but more importantly, I certainly didn't want a stranger touching mine. I was floored when that experience turned out to be one of the most emotional, spiritual, and memorable times of my life. I have never forgotten it. It was humbling to have someone wash my feet, yet a huge blessing. I was also blessed by washing someone else's feet...to be a servant.

Sunday's sermon was on our  "needs" and "wants" and When do we have enough? This was a hard one for me...I seem to ALWAYS be wanting! New clothes, purses, shoes, items for the house, vacations...the list is endless! But Pastor Judy's point was if we have Jesus...is it enough? it certainly is! He meets all my  needs and then some! I am certainly blessed! But, sometimes he meets our needs through others...

We then start focusing on identifying a need that someone else can fill for us. Well, I'm single and a homeowner so there are plenty! Right? Wrong! I find that most of my need is financial, not something someone can do for me in an hour or less. Anyone have an extra 10 grand so I can get a new furnace and windows? A new master suite addition (pipe dream of mine)? Those things are probably not what she had in mind, so let's focus on things that need to be done around the house. There's washing windows, washing/cleaning my car, yard work (lots and lots of yard work!!), etc. But these are things I just don't like to do...I can, I just don't want to. That's not a "need", that's LAZY! We're about to fill out the card and I have to think of 1 need. I'm starting to panic a little.

Where does pride figure in? I don't want people to know how dirty my windows are! I don't want people to see how dirty I let me car get! I don't want people to think I'm lazy or incapable of taking care of myself! It's hard to accept help! Such pride! It occured to me that when Jesus washed the feet of the disciples, it wasn't about them being capable of doing it for themselves...it was a service, a ministry...a demonstration of his love for them. I enjoy serving others, doing acts of service, "washing the feet" of others. It's a blessing to me. So when I refuse to let others help me, am I robbing them of a blessing?

So, it's decision time and...I leave my card blank. I'm not going to ask someone else to "wash my feet" just because I'm too lazy to do it, OR it's a job I procrastinate because I don't like like doing it, OR maybe it IS hard for me, but I don't want to admit that I "need" help.

As the final song is being sung, I'm looking at the empty card in my hand a light bulb goes on in my head...OUTSIDE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! My Dad drove 3 hrs one afternoon to put them up for me, but I wasn't sure how I was going to get them down. I know he is super busy with his new job at the church so I don't want him to feel pressured to make a trip over here for a job that will only take about 30 min. My BFF, Sue, could help me, but she's super busy with coaching basketball right now so I don't want to ask her to help me. I guess I could just go redneck and leave them up till spring, or next Christmas...no that's not an option!

So...it turns out I do have a "need" and I'm going to let someone feel the blessing by helping me! I'll also be blessed by letting them do it, and hopefully by finding a "need" I can meet for someone else!

No comments: