Sunday, April 12, 2009

What a Day That Will Be!!!

Today was such a blessed day! The whole weekend really was awesome, but today took the cake. After a wonderful service a church, we headed to Grandma Grate's for dinner. Grandma took the lead at dinner and prayed, which brought me to tears. It's when she prays that I feel the closest to her. It's like God gives her back to us as she used to be for a short time. After dinner, my Aunt Marla suggested we bring church to Grandma since she can't get out to church anymore. There were 18 of us gathered in Grandma's living room singing. We sang "Because He Lives," "He Lives," What a Day That Will Be," "When the Roll is Called up Yonder," and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting. It was such a precious time. Grandma was singing along a little, but mostly raising her hands to the Lord as we sang. It was hard not to get choked up and all of us did at one point. After we sang, Grandma prayed again. She really prayed and cried, just like I remember her doing all my life. She prayed for her children and grandchildren. I remember listening to her and Grandpa pray for us all by name when I was little and used to camp with them. They thought I was asleep, I'm sure, but I used to listen to those prayers and knew I was always uplifted to the throne. That has never left me. Today, I got to have that once more. When I think of "prayer warriors," my Grandma always comes to mind. Today, I felt a renewed faith in the power of prayer. Not just in the things we can gain from praying, but the way it can transform us. Grandma was transformed today as she prayed. God is so good! I am so thankful for His gift of salvation and what this beautiful day means for all of us. What a Day That Will Be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how beautiful the day was, you described my feelings to a Tee! It was a wonderful weekend and I can't believe how quickly it flew by! It was a real blessing to have Jason and Holly and the kids with us even though it was a short visit! Since we never get to be with them on Easter. But all in all, the weekend was Totally Perfect!! My kids and our extended family are truly Great!!
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Don't you miss those songs and days when we used to sing the whole service. Or testimonies were endless. I do. Some times I want to say I can't conjure up a feeling after I have had to sing the same line 15 times with an additional 2 to top it off or the music is so loud I can't hear myself sing. I miss the times when we sang softly and sometimes with no music. I miss the saints like Hazel who prayed and you just knew that they always got through. I miss that time. I wonder what my grandchildren will remember and draw from when tough times come. We can go back and remember.. and pull from that time and experience. Everything today seems surface only and it makes me sad. It is good that you were able to give your grandma church at home and for a time she too remembered those days and feelings of God's presence.

Love carolyn

Susan said...

Wow..I am tearing up just reading that..your very blessed to have such a wonderful women in your life.

Anonymous said...

I miss you all very much and this made me miss you even more. I miss hazels prayers and still beleive that God leans up in his seat to listen when she stars to talking. Love you cuz.

John