Saturday, March 28, 2009

Milestones

Well, today was the big day! The day that has loomed out in front of me since I started the "mini" training. Today was the 10 mile walk day. That is the most you walk before the race. I have watched this week approach on my training schedule...wondering "would I ever be able to do that?" Well, that week arrived and guess what? I did it!! It was long and hard and I'm exhausted, but I did it!!! Today was very emotional. I cried on the way to the park feeling a little overwhelmed by what was ahead. I called Sue for a little support and like the friend that she is, she put it in perspective...she told me to suck it up because there's no crying in marathons! Now, don't be thinking that she's insensitive. I actually laughed when she said it and it did the trick. But, when the walk was over, I also broke down and sobbed. It's just a little overwhelming to come to this milestone in the training. To do something that you never thought was possible is very motivating. I feel like I can do anything right now. I decided today that I need to continue this drive to exercise when the race is over. I'm come so far, I don't want to lose all I've gained. Well, that's all for today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, when is the mini-marathon, and how many miles will you walk during the marathon? Where is the marathon being held? Who sponsors it?

Congratulations on reaching the 10 mile mark. That is a long way to walk. It is also a big time commitment.

I'm happy for you!
Marla

Kelley said...

Marla,
The Mini is in Indianapolis on May 2nd. It is the biggest mini in the country with 35,000 participants. It is 13.1 miles and you have 4 hrs. to complete. An 18 min. mile is the slowest you can go to not get picked up by the "little white bus" that haunts my dreams. :) It's been an awesome experience to train for something like this.

Anonymous said...

Yea Kelley!! 10 MILES is a LONG WAY!! I can't begin to imagine how tired you must be!! YOU ARE THE WOMAN!!! I am so PROUD of you!!
I love your newly decorated bathroom! Looks great!!
Love you,
Mom