Monday, November 27, 2006

Blessed

As I thought about a title for this post, Blessed is the only thing that seemed truely appropriate because that's what I am. The Lord has truely blessed me and my entire family. The weekend was spent eating, decorating, shopping. laughing, and loving. It's funny how I've blocked every frustrating moment from my mind. Decorating with 3 little people who just want to help is no easy task. I'm sure we uttered the words "Stop, Step away from the tree" more than once, but it's like those moments are erased. All I remember is laughing at Zeke's antics, Emmy's silliness and Elijah's new comedy routine. My how he is like his father! I think the most special part of the weekend for me was Sunday at Grandma Grate's house. Grandma's not doing so well in the memory dept. She has dementia and gets really confused. As we sat down to dinner (there were about 30 of us there) Dad asked her is she would pray for dinner. As she started to pray, I started to cry. It was like she was herself again. This was the Grandma I know, the prayer warrior. I'm so glad I was there. We don't get to hear her pray like that anymore and it was very special. I've added pictures from the weekend to share. Enjoy!

This picture of Andrea and I was taken by Elijah. He's quite the little photographer and loves to take pictures with Aunt Kelley's digital camera. Good one Lij!

Zeke was such a little helper. He always had the next branch. I thought this picture of him on the ladder was too cute. As usual, no pants were being worn. We need to start our own "colony."

Emmy looked so cute with her new hair cut. She's quite proud of it!
Elijah is in that "I don't want to take a normal picture" stage. He likes to make lots of funny faces, but getting a nice, normal, smiling picture...good luck. This is mom's finished tree in the living room. Pictures don't do it justice.
Jason, Andrea and I took our annual Thanksgiving picture with Grandma and Grandpa Walsh.
What a nice family shot. Love the denim and black idea!
This picture cracked me up. The tree stand is broken so we have some leaning issues. Jon was trying to straighten it, with a little help from Elijah and Emmy.
The Grate clan is growing. Welcome Jon!
Friday was Andrea's 29th birthday! We celebrated with a nice lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Mom tipped off the waitress so Andrea got a nice birthday Yee Haw! She was really embarrassed. The girls love their shopping day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun memories!! I love each and every picture!! Zeke on the ladder was too cute!! I loved having my family all home for Thanksgiving. It was truly a special weekend all the way!! Now we are just waiting till the next party for Elijah's 8th birthday!!
Thanks for all the help decorating and cleaning up!! It means more than you will ever know!!
Love you,
Mom

Jaena said...

Kelley, I just love seeing pictures of and reading about your family. That's what I want our family gathering to be like as our kids get older...close, caring and FUN!

Alzheimer's Reading Room said...

I came across your blog when I searched the tag--dementia.

You certainly write with "grate" feeling. Your words with the attached pictures give one of a sense of being there. Your positive spirit is very uplifting.

I'll look foreward to coming back and reading more.

Bob

Anonymous said...

I think the tree looks fabulous. Where are the pictures of the dining room tree? I bought a new tree and did become inspired again. I hurried before I talked myself out of it. ha

Kim came down last night and put it together. After seeing how heavy it was I would have had to stop at the third part, it would have been one of the orphan trees, a bit bottom heavy but short and trim on top. Something I am hoping for one day? ha

Hope to see you too over the holidays and Grate to hear the prayer warrior is still there. John always said call Hazel she has a direct line to Heaven.

Love and Prayers
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelley! Okay, I lost the website for your blogs several months ago and kept telling myself I had to search for it because I loved reading them and seeing the pictures of your family. Tonight as I was addressing my Christmas cards I marched upstairs to the computer determined to find it. Here I am, all caught up, but it's 2:00 a.m. Can I tell my kids it's all your fault when I'm grumpy when they wake up in 4 hours? Glad you had such a wonderful visit to Ohio over Thanksgiving - we did too. Loved the pictures! Take care and keep blogging. I've bookmarked the page now.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

What a special time it was. Loved every minute of it. Seeing Mom write Elijah's 8th birthday just made a bit sick to my stomach though....

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful holiday. I sure miss you everyone but I am sure we will get together soon. I love ya cuz!

Deb said...

I'm such a stalker that I checked out Robert's site - did anyone else do that?

Kelley said...

You betcha I checked it out. I was very curious. His comments were very nice though. Makes me more aware of what I write and how anything I mention puts it out there for anyone to access through a search. Interesting.