Saturday, May 02, 2009

2009 Indianapolis Mini Marathon

This day was so incredible and overwhelming! Today I walked my first mini marathon, 13.1 miles. My friend Missy has a torn miniscus in her knee so had to pull out at the last minute. I was supposed to walk with her and was a little panicked about walking alone. So, I placed a call to my biggest supporter, Andrea. She agreed on Friday morning to become "Missy" for the day. Honest to goodness, I could not have made it without her. Andrea, thank you for being the BEST sister on the planet! I love you!

We were in our corrals at 7:00am just like we were told to be. The starting gun went off at 7:30 and 44 min. later we crossed the starting line. It was crazy. I started off strong and in great spirits. All along the race course, there are local bands playing, people cheering and just general hoopla! It's fun and motivating. At mile 6 you go into the Indy Motor Speedway. Now that is overwhelming! That place is huge. It's 2.5 miles around and it felt every bit that long. During that part of the race, I started to get tired....

Our group of walkers had t-shirts made for the race. The front said "Nothing is impossible" while the back had a scripture; "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

All along the race course, people commented on the shirt. As we were walking the track, I heard a lady behind me talking about my shirt. She then told me that she really liked it. I told her thanks and that I could really use someone in front of me wearing the shirt right now...she said, "Here let me read it to you." She proceeded to read the verse to me. I was a blubbering mess. I needed to hear the words of that verse in a big way. Later around the track, we ended up near her again and this time, she just started reading. She told me that this verse had gotten her through many a race. This was her 18th Mini Marathon. I was in awe. She was in her sixties and had walked this race for the last 18 years. I told her that I was in my first and maybe my last. :)

Well, we made it around the track and completed mile 9 shortly after we left the speedway. About mile 10, I started to get overwhelmed. I had never walked farther than 10 and the thought of 3 more, was hard to take. My feet were hurting and I was tired. Andrea kept me encouraged as did my friend Missy with her text messages. I got choked up several times during the last 3 miles. At one point the encouragement was too much and I started crying...I said "I don't think I can take anymore encouragement" so the ladies next to Andrea started telling me how poorly I was doing. It was hillarious. Made me laugh and kind of broke the tension. Well, before I knew it, Andrea and I were walking the last mile. The mile markers were counting down...3/4....1/2....1/4 and then I could see the finish line...

Before I knew it the whole gang was lined up on either side of the street, cheering me one, snapping pictures, ringing cowbells...I felt like a rock star!!! It was so cool. I have the best friends in my life! I cried like a baby as Andrea and I crossed the finish line together. 3:58:33

8 comments:

K. Karr said...

Hey Kelley- I am commenting :-) This post had me choked up about four times. Loved how the lady read the verse to you twice! AWESOME! Maybe someday I will do the mini! Once again- Way to Go!
-Karla

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Congratulations on a job well done! What an awesome accomplishment. Thanks for sharing with us.
Love, Marla

Unknown said...

Way to go Kelley!!! I thought about you a ton yesterday! I am so proud of you!!!! What an accomplishment!!

Jami

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of my daughters! Kelley has amazed us with her determination and devotion to this endevor!! I am so proud of Andrea for stepping up to the plate for her sister! I have the best daughters in the world!! Congratulations Honey and You are so AWESOME!!!
Love You So Much!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Go Kelley...

Go Kelley...

Go Kelley...

YEAH!!!

Beau and Nicole Hummel said...

Wow! I thought it was wierd when I saw the pictures of Andrea with you. I thought for sure she said she was going to just cheer you on. Once I read the post it made since. That's a huge accomplishment!

Missy said...

And fumes brought you home! :) Great job Kelley! You set your goal. You trained. You accomplished. Nothing is impossible for you.

Anonymous said...

Kel,

I truely am in awe of you! You are such an inspiration. I am so proud of your accomplishment and it was a blessing for me to be a small part of your big day.
Love ya,
Andrea