Monday, October 20, 2008

I Go Back...

For those who don't know, I Go Back is the title of a Kenny Chesney song. It talks about all the things that trigger those memories that take us back to the "Good Ole Days". (my words, not Kenny's) Anyways, I picked that title because tonight I went back...

Did I ever tell you about the time I scored 8 straight points to win the game against Taft middle school?... Those who know me really well are laughing out loud right now. I tend to live my entire athletic life through this one very monumental moment. I was not what you might call...athletic, but I did play one year of volleyball in the 8th grade. I wasn't a starter, but I had a few shining moments. One such moment was the game against Taft where we were down 7 points and I served 8 straight points to win the game. Why she didn't play me in the next game was a mystery because I was obviously our secret weapon. Well, tonight I got to go back...

About a week ago the 7th grade volleyball coach asked several of us teachers if we would be willing to play a little tournament against her team after school. The season is over and they wanted to do something fun. I must admit this struck fear in my heart. I wanted to play, but I didn't want to look stupid in front of my coworkers, the 7th grade players, but most importantly the slew of kids who thought it would be great fun to come watch their teachers humiliate themselves. But due mostly to peer pressure I agreed to play. I was a nervous wreck. We made team shirts, and even decked ourselves out on game day just like the real players do when they have a match that day. I wasn't sure I could do this. Well, as we were warming up for the game, I was starting to gain some confidence. I was getting my serves over, I was bumping and setting well. So, I started to get excited. Would you believe that my team of teachers (there were 2) won the tournament? We beat both groups of girls and I played very well for a person who hasn't played real volleyball in 24 years. The crowning moment though was when I scored 5 straight points to bring us from behind to 1 point ahead. We went on to win the set. I could have been 13 again! It was so much fun!!! I was actually a little proud of myself.

Now if only I could find a show choir to join...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Baby, I wish I could of been there to cheer you on!!! I remember that game against Taft so well!! You were the hero of that game for sure!! We were so proud and happy for you!! You go girl!!!
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Way to go! That must have felt good to win the tournament against 7th graders and other teachers.
Hey, I don't comment often, but I always read your blog and enjoy each entry.
Aunt MRC

Kim said...

Never underestimate us girls that don't fit in the stereotypical "athletic" category. Way to go.

Anonymous said...

You could start a show choir for retired participants. The dancing may be of a slower style, less tap dancing and more swaying.

Loved your description keep it up

Carolyn