Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Happy 60th Birthday, Dad!!

Today is my Dad's 60th Birthday! We had his party 10 days ago in order to actually surprise him. It was a great time with lots of old friends and family.
I think he's shocked!
I always knew he had a lot of hot air!
He was a trooper; he read all his funny cards (and sappy cards) aloud for all of us to enjoy!
The big surprise...a flat screen for his bedroom!

I would like to take this opportunity to say how blessed I am to have Keever Grate for my Dad. He's amazing! He is a man of God who has been a wonderful role model in my life. He has a great sense of humor, he's gentle, kind, he's a do it all kind of man. He takes care of me even still and far away, he listens and offers sound advice. I've watched him be a wonderful, faithful husband to my mom. I think sometimes that I can't find Mr. Right because I compare all men against the "Keever" standard which is about impossible to measure up to. You know what else I love about my Dad? I love his hands. They are rough, calloused, hammer holding hands. They have always been tough, yet gentle hands. They remind me of Grandpa Grate's hands. Hands that have worked hard to take care of their family.
I love you, Dad!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! And he's a fantastic brother, too! MC

Susan said...

What a nice tribute to your dad! By the way..he has a cool name!!
Sue Simpson

Anonymous said...

You said it all and made me cry! I have the most wonderful guy in the world and after 38 years together it still amazes me that he picked me! God is so good!! Plus he gave me 3 amazing children, how much better can life be.
Love,
Mom

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Also the world's best father-in-law! We are all blessed!

Anonymous said...

It is still 11:59 and still time to say Happy 60 to the best cousin. I have been blessed to have such a GRATE person to call family.

Love Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late commenting but I think he is a "Great nephew" A "Happy belated Birthday" Love you. Aunt Eva

Jaena said...

I can see why guys would have a tough time measuring up to your dad, Kelley. Loved this post.

Big John said...

Well he is a pretty great guy. and well cuz I guess in my make up birthdays I forgot yours. Well happy belated on your 40th. Where has the time gone I can not believe that you have reached this milestone already but I know one day far in the future I will too. Happy belated from Big J and the rest of the clan down here on the ranch in the big d.

Love you,
cuz